Monday, May 23, 2005

The Latino Sound

We're listening to a new CD - Los Super Seven (self-titled CD), a motley crew of 7+ musicians with their tribute to border radio. People like Freddie Fender and Flaco Jimenez (accordianist from Freddie's band), and David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas from Los Lobos. What great music this is. I feel like I'm sitting in a dusty bar drinking my cerveza with Pancho Villa, discussing the politics of the day. And hoping a gunfight doesn't break out in the dusty streets outside.

I can't help thinking about my grandfather. He grew up along the border, and could speak street Spanish. He loved border music, and would have been singing along to most of these songs with his beautiful deep bass voice. I think he would get such a kick out the fact that I married into a Hispanic family.

This last fact has greatly broadened my horizons of Latino music. I already had some CD's in this genre-The Gipsy Kings (Spain), The Bueno Vista Social Club and Celia Cruz (Cuba), Bebel Gilberto (Brazilian). But Jav and his family has opened my ears to great bands (Mana), pop stars (Juanez, Christina Aguilera, who I like much better in Spanish), and traditional crooners (Pepe Aguilar, Pedro Infante, Luis Miguel). These last three were included in our wedding reception music, mixed in with Artie Shaw, Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitgerald. We decided to incorporate music that both of our grandparents loved, and it was a great decision because both of our families were moved by what we had chosen. Little did my new family know that I had a grandfather who loved all of it.

I feel very lucky that my eyes are being opened to a culture that's different (but still similar in many ways) to mine. If I could only pick up Spanish as easily as Bapaw could!

1 comment:

junebee said...

Last summer, there was an excellent documentary on Ovation: The Arts Network about The Afro-Cuban All-Stars, which are some old guys that were playing Cuban music prior to the Castro revolution. Some of them are still alive. I immediately ordered the CD from Amazon. I like Spanish music too, my step-brother turned me on to it because he likes to date Spanish women!