Friday, June 24, 2005

Ommmmmmm Ommmmmmmm - Oh forget it

I have been enjoying the physical benefits of Yoga for about 4 years now. I had a video tape that I would do once every couple of weeks that was considered advanced. Because I sort of learned backwards, there are parts I've never been able to manage. But recently, I decided I would try to get into it a little more. I subscribed to Yoga Journal magazine and stepped up my practice to twice a week. Thanks to the magazine explaining exactly how to do the poses and which muscles to work, I've become much more flexible in a short period of time. I'm working courage towards actually taking a class, but I always find myself busy on Saturday mornings.

I'm also amazed at how much more there is to Yoga. The work out benefits are just part of it. The health benefits are astronomical, with certain poses helping with back pain, bad digestion, headaches, sinus issues - the list goes on and on. It's really a way of life, and that's something I never knew from watching my dinky tape. I am making an effort to follow some of the ideology, like trying to think nice thoughts about and find value in everyone in your life. But the thing that I just haven't been able to "get" is the breathing and meditation part of it all. I am not someone who sits still well, in fact if I'm sitting still, I'm probably asleep.

I try to sit for five minutes, just five minutes after I'm done with all of the poses, but I rarely make it. I jump up and onto my next task. But this is such a big part of it all. I have this feeling that I'm missing the big picture-that a much better feeling of peace and contentment is waiting for me, if I would only slow down a little and do my deep breathing. There just isn't enough time in the day for meditation, if you ask me. If only I could multi-task and do something else while I'm just sitting. Then it wouldn't seem like such a waste of time!

No comments: