Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Early Bird

I feed all of our pets at 5:30 am every morning. Even on the weekends. Normally I can go back to sleep for at least an hour on Saturdays, and maybe two hours on Sunday. I couldn't sleep this morning, though, so instead of laying there tossing and turning, I got up. I glanced out the window and noticed the sky was a funny color, and I remembered the old saying "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning. Red sky at night, sailors delight." Thinking I might see signs of some desperately needed rain, I stepped out on the back deck. There was a beautiful rainbow bejeweling the morning sky. I could see both ends, but the arch was in clouds. Why do rainbows make me feel like a little kid again? They just make me so happy. I debated waking up Jav, but thought better of it and grabbed my camera instead. I realized that I love being up early. I love hearing the screech owls as they finish up their night. I love the moment when the doves start cooing as the first light breaks across the sky. It's the quietest time of the day, and I'm finding that's something I crave more and more these days.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love getting up early too. I feel like I get so much accomplished in my day when I do. It's just so damn hard to roll out of bed. But once I do I just love it.