Thursday, September 15, 2005

More confused

OK-now that I've been thinking about my last post, I'm even more jumbled. I guess my whole freedom of religion argument is really for the parents of those kids, not the kids themselves. They aren't old enough to make any bigtime decisions about what they believe or don't believe - they're just going by what their parents tell them to do or not to do. Just like the girl I remember from first grade. So does that make it ok for them to say, "one nation under God" during the Pledge? I have no idea now. It just still makes me mad that the pundits arguing for keeping the phrase in don't think before they speak sometimes.

My husband just pointed out that it seems like the Founding Fathers were all deeply religious, and when they mapped out the Bill of Rights, probably were thinking of freedoms of all to worship God any way they chose. So maybe they were not planning for Agnostics or Atheists. Maybe it just never occurred to them. So he's confused the issue even more in my head now.

2 comments:

Julie said...

So was the girl named Heidi? I'm wondering if she left your elementary school and ended up in mine (god I haven't thought about her in probably 25 or 30 years).

And didn't I read that the "under God" portion of the Pledge was added in the 50s? That's what gets me when people freak out about changing it. Wouldn't that be taking it back to what it originally was supposed to be?

Kim said...

Yes - her name was Heidi. I think she was Seventh-Day Adventist.