Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Ordinary World

I'm sitting at work listening to Ordinary World by Duran Duran, a song I've always liked. But the line, "Where is my friend when I need you most - gone away", really hit me hard today. My best of lunchtime friends, Glenn Mitchell, passed away Sunday unexpectedly. Glenn was the best host of the best radio talk show in this market, and possibly beyond. One of his many, many fans wrote in her online tribute, "he was like a ray of warm sunshine on a cold day." I agree. He was the high point of my work day. No matter how crappy or stressful of a day I was having, my mood would always brighten to listen to him during my lunch hour. I started leaving to go home everyday because of him. His "Everything You Always Wanted to Know" Friday show left me with so many interesting new things in my head that I would write them down to tell my husband later over dinner.

Some of the shows I have been remembering over the last couple of days: The Grace Slick interview - what an ability to laugh at herself. The former Vanity Fair movie review writer (his name escapes me at the moment). He was English and incredibly funny, so funny that I ordered his book that day. ANY Kinky Friedman interview. Every year when he had a band featured in the Irish Festival. The fantastic Art Prostitute introduction. I even looked forward to pledge drive weeks, because his shows would somehow rise even higher. I loved hearing Glenn and Brian Garner talk about the English language. The Brain Trust shows that I never wanted to end filled with therpeutic laughter.

I've learned about places to eat in this area and the wines to order. I heard great Texas music. I learned more about US presidents and politics, ancient history and culture, and broadened my horizons about current issues. I was fascinated with subjects I'd never heard of before - and hung on Glenn's every question to continue finding out more and more and more. I loved hearing his laugh with it's oh-so-human goofy snort. Glenn had such great questions to ask. He was always professional, prepared, kind, gracious and funny.

I came late to the Christmas Blockbuster. I've only listened for the last three years. But last year will always be truly special for me. My husband and I listened while I finished up some Christmas cooking, we wrapped presents until late at night, and went to sleep listening to the Dylan Thomas "A Child's Christmas in Wales", which I had never heard before Glenn's show. Something about that piece makes me feel like I am six years old again, watching for reindeer in the sky. I will make a point to find a print or recorded version of it, so that I will be reminded of Glenn each Christmas and what he brought to my life. He brought so very much - how can I possibly forget? My world suddenly seems much more ordinary.

I am wondering where my friend is - and will miss him every day.

No comments: