Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A little dose of culture never hurt anyone

We decided to get a subscription to the Ft. Worth opera when we got the brochure in the mail and saw how affordable it was. The deal was clinched when we read that we get a discount with our KERA card. We get to attend three operas. Our seats are the the first row of the upper balcony, a little to the side. I have always wanted to go to an opera, but was a little nervous that I would get bored and maybe even fall asleep. To make things worse, our first opera occurred at the end of our move-in week. We spent all day that Friday moving the last bits of stuff from the old house, which turned out to take four trips in two cars, and moving furniture around, and unpacking yet more boxes of kitchen stuff (were they multiplying?). We were tired and punchy, and sitting at Bass Hall for three or so hours was really the last thing I wanted to do. I begged Jav to just let us go out to dinner somewhere and back home for some relaxation and/or sleep. But he kept coaxing. We somehow managed to find our dress-up clothes, and ended up looking smashing when we walked out the door, me in a blue velvet dress with a turquoise shawl, and he in a purple shirt with gray and purple striped tie. All cool colors. We sat down to watch Verdi's La Traviatta. Here's the rather lengthy story.

Well, it was amazing. The lead playing Violetta had the smoothest most beautiful voice. The sets were amazing, the dancing was perfect and the music itself was so enjoyable. There's an intermission between each Act, so the action never really drags. And everyone is dressed up in their opera finery. I felt like I'd gone back in time, to the days my grandparents would get dressed to the nines to go anywhere - dinner, a movie. It was such a special and romantic event.

It's wonderful to know that for a small amount of money, we are not only getting a wonderful evening, but we are contributing to the advancement of culture in our little Fort Worth community. I can't wait until the next one in January!

1 comment:

Spider Girl said...

I have a blue velvet dress I wear to such things too. It's my favourite. :)

But alas, I'm lacking a turquoise shawl.