Thursday, February 16, 2006

I've got Olympic Fever

And it feels good. I turn on the TV when I get home from work, and it stays on until coverage ends for local news at 10:30, or I fall asleep, whichever comes first. I LOVE the Olympics. So far this year I haven't found a sport that's annoying to me, except for snowboarding tricks in "the pipe". I'm having a little trouble with the X-Games stuff, so I guess I'm officially old. I saw previews for the Snowboard Cross (like Motorcross but on snowboards) that airs tonight, which I'm curious about, but seems too much like a Nascar race to be too terribly interesting.

I like the more traditional stuff - downhill skiing, long track speed skating, luge. I even got into a curling match yesterday. What the heck is that all about? I think it's like shuffleboard, but with ice and geekier players. The thing I can't believe is how much I'm getting into the figure skating this year. I stopped watching it about a decade ago, thinking it wasn't a real sport. But this year I'm feeding into all the human interest stories like crazy.

Fascinating TV - much better than a random night of normal TV.

NEXT DAY: OK, I loved the Snowboard Cross. It's not like Nascar-there's no loud, polluting cars involved. Just a person on a snowboard going faster than all get out trying to get in front of everyone else to avoid crashes. I'd like to try it someday, although this is a lofty goal considering the only time I've ever been skiing I never made it off the bunny slope.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I kept meaning to comment on this that I loved the Snowboard Cross too. I think because it reminded me of a snowboarding PS2 game we have here that I used to play ALL the time before we had kids. Of course that one was much more exciting - sliding down rails and jumping off cliffs. But I'll watch them go over the little bumps in real life too!