Monday, August 21, 2006

Swollen and Salt-Free (sort of)

Since I am nine months pregnant in one of the top-ten hottest summers Texas has ever seen, my ankles pretty much resemble those of a small elephant's from the time I get out of bed these days. It hasn't helped that my work has finally realized that I will be gone awhile and people will have to do what I do - so they have me running around trying to train 4 different people. My legs got so bad Thursday and Friday that Jav and I decided to give up some of my vacation time that I was saving for after the baby comes. I went to half-days today, which should help. I'll still be off the same amount of time, but we'll have less money to stretch out while I'm off.

Because I'm getting so swollen, I'm trying to find meals that have the least amount of sodium, which has proved to be sort of hard. We're pretty much down to grilling meats, and having sides of fresh fruits and vegetables and a little bread. I am not one to buy canned vegetables or frozen dinners, so I guess the transition has been easier for me than some. But I'm still amazed at the amount of salt in foods I never would've thought had much. My cranberry juice has 250 mg - why? The lunchmeat with the lowest amount was roast beef, which also surprised me. And don't even get me started on salad dressings. I've become even more addicted to label reading than I was before, so it took me an hour and a half to get through grocery shopping yesterday. (It didn't help that the Braxton-Hicks got really strong while I was there and I was stopping to breath every other aisle-but I learned it's a great way to clear out a crowded aisle!)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Just remember that if that water breaks in the grocery store you won't have to be the one to mop it up ("Clean up on aisle 5, clean up on aisle 5"). Could be a big plus!