Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Fresh Air!

After the wonderful day of rain we had Labor Day, the air is so different outside. I have been enduring this summer for about as long as I can stand it, and for the first time this morning was able to open up every window (that works) and air out the house. I don't think I've done that since sometime in May. It feels so good!!!

I have a friend at work that claims her allergies are so bad that she can never open up any windows in their house, and rarely spends any time outside. I feel so sorry for her - but my very uneducated theory is that if she'd just spend more time outside, maybe her system would get used Texas air (she's originally from Illinois). I couldn't live that way. I'd feel like I was on an airplane all the time, breathing the same air over and over again.

We've already decided that next year's big money house project is to replace all of our windows. These original windows are kind of cool. They basically have three diagonal panes with two horizontal panes with screens between them, and open with a hinge. But there are quite a few panes with screen missing, and some hinges that are stuck shut. Plus the windows all leak all kinds of air, probably just because the house has settled so much in 40+ years. So I'm really excited about replacing them. We get to have even more ventilation when we want it, and less energy costs when we don't!

No comments: