Thursday, November 23, 2006

A reflection of thankfulness

I've noticed (maybe because of my addiction to The Food Network) that Thanksgiving seems to have become more about the food than about being thankful for the things in our lives. So I'm reflecting on the things, big and small, that I am thankful for today.

I'm more thankful than ever for my wonderful family, the fact that we are all happy and healthy, and of course for my newest little bundle of love.

I'm thankful for my friends. We may not see each other as often as we'd like in these busy times, but my life would be much less rich without them.

I'm thankful for my pets, for the things they teach me, the moments they make me laugh, and the feeling of comfort just having them around me.

I'm thankful for moments like yesterday on the back porch, swinging with Gabriel in my lap, watching the sun filter through the trees with an occasional leaf falling, and hearing the birds talk to each other.

I'm thankful for my home, for having heat on cold mornings, and for having plenty of food in our cabinets.

I'm thankful for good neighbors like George and Billie. They may be older, but they are definitely wiser than most people I know, and more forward thinking and cool than alot of younger people.

I'm thankful for having a sense of humor and for laughter, with its ability to instantly make you feel better.

I'm thankful for getting to be an aunt to two of the cutest and sweetest kids ever.

I'm thankful for all of my happy memories of Thanksgivings gone by, and for grandparents who, although they are very missed now, left me with so many thoughts, stories and traditions to carry on.

I'm thankful for friendly people, like the woman in line behind me at Walmart yesterday. She was so genuine in her wishes for me to have a happy holiday season. When she looked at Gabriel and said, "You must be feeling very blessed this year", she inspired me to make this list.

I'm thankful for my ever-patient, truly kind, and very loving husband. He gives my life more meaning than I ever thought possible.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Now EAT UP!!!

No comments: