Sunday, April 01, 2007

Fighting the instinct and losing

Well, we found out the reason Gabriel cried so much the first night we tried to skip the nighttime feeding is because he was cutting his first two teeth. He had two brand new little bottom toothies the next day. I felt so bad about just letting him cry for so long. Then the next two nights he slept right through the night. But now he's waking up again sometime between 3 and 5. I decided that I'm not going to worry about it if he wakes up. As my Mom pointed out, if we wake up hungry in the middle of the night, we get up and get a snack. So that's all I'm doing - getting him a snack since he can't get up yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Gabriel has the best kind of room service.

Julie said...

As always, you need to just do what is right for your family. I'd always read the warnings that you shouldn't nurse your babies to sleep because they'll never learn to go to sleep on their own, but there was no way I was ever willing to wake up a baby once they finally fell asleep. And you know what, both my kids can now get a kiss goodnight and I can walk out while they are still awake and they manage to easily put themselves to sleep. It will all work out in the end.

Kim said...

I know it will - and the thing is, he falls asleep for naps without a bottle twice a day now. As long as I know he's a little sleepy, I can put him in his crib and he'll murmur and roll around for awhile, then he goes to sleep. So I'm going to stop worrying about it.