Sunday, July 22, 2007

I live for times like this

What a weekend. We realized we had a very rare no-plans-whatsoever empty space on the calendar. Friday night we actually ate dinner together, something we could never do when Jav worked in Plano.

Saturday morning we decided to take Gabriel on his first trip to the Fort Worth Zoo. Keep in mind we were thinking we wouldn't stay very long. It was around lunchtime but we had no food, other than raisins and a fruit roll-up. We get there and wait 30 minutes to get into the parking lot. Then we are told the bathrooms in the entire zoo aren't working. We had an option to turn around and go home, but decided to stick it out. We looked at it like we were filming an episode of Survivor: Zoo Day. It rained on us a couple of times, we were hot and sweaty from the high humidity, and hungry due to my lack of planning. But we had an absolute blast anyway! Gabriel really couldn't focus on many of the big, lumbering animals. But he saw some of the monkeys, the elephants, the parrots and macaws, and the zebra. He was smiling and laughing the whole time, probably just because we were outside, in a new place with lots of kids, and with both Mommy and Daddy. His favorite part seemed to be the waterfalls.

Then Jav and I spontaneously decided to have a date night, another very rare occurrence. Now you may think, oh how nice, they wanted to be grown-ups for an evening, have a sophisticated dinner out where they talked about something besides baby poop for awhile. Well, we went to see the latest Harry Potter movie. And then proceeded to discuss it over fried oysters and cold Shiner at J&J Oyster Bar. How wonderful to have a husband who will participate in silly but totally fun outings like this. And in case you're wondering, the movie was not as good as the last two. Everyone is blaming the director, but I think it's the screen writers fault more than anything. I think it would be really hard to translate the books into movies as they go on, because the books get longer and more complex, but they don't want to have a three hour movie. My biggest problem was not being able to understand what anyone was saying. They all seemed to be talking too fast and mumbling.

Anyway, this morning we went to have breakfast at Esperanza's, another favorite place of ours that we haven't been to post-baby. I got my favorite, molletes (bakery bread with beans and cheese and pico de gallo, only I had them hold the pico since I shared with Gabriel), homemade guacamole and tortillas, and a bowl of arroz con leche. Gabriel ate all of this with such relish that I couldn't keep up with him. As soon as I would cut up his little pieces, he would eat them and look at me ready for more. Jav was worried he was going to get sick, but instead he just fell asleep as soon as we drove out of the parking lot.

I feel like we had a vacation without ever leaving Fort Worth!

Private joke to my husband: Honey, I'm adding one more thing to my birthday wish list. An autographed signed portrait of Marty Feldman to hang up in the kitchen. I'm sure some Ebay browsing will turn something up.

No comments: