Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The golden hour

Gabriel and I don't have much of a schedule, other than feeding and nap times. These stay relatively the same every day. We try to walk Molly in the morning, but only because it's still so dang hot right now. Later when cooler weather hits we can walk her anytime during the day. I used to run errands before lunch every day (once again, because of the hot weather), but now that's pretty flexible too. So our day waxes and wanes depending on what I'm trying to get done, with the occasional doctor appointment or pressing something-or-other thrown in.

My day has gotten easier as Gabriel has matured. I have more time to do chores or laundry while he plays on his own, or I can bring a bunch of toys with me into the room I need to work in, and Gabriel and I will play while I'm getting things done. Most of the housework gets done during the week this way. None of our day is too rushed or stressful, but I stay pretty busy. That is, until about 5 or so. Without a doubt my favorite time of the day is the hour or so before I start dinner, Gabriel watches one of his Baby Einstein DVDs, and we know Jav is on his way home from work.

Many days we'll spend this time outside (if the mosquitoes don't drive us in the house), languishing on a quilt and listening for different birds. Molly's always out with us, chewing on her sticks, and not even pausing every now and then when Gabriel wants to climb on her for a little while. Bones is also out with us, and lately Henry's been joining us too. Sometimes I'll fake being asleep, which always gets Gabriel to laugh and then come poke me in the belly button to wake me up. Sometimes we'll play my version of "Airplane", with me holding Gabriel with his belly balanced on top of my head while I whirl in circles. Sometimes I'll carry him around the yard looking for bugs or different leaves or flowers. He loves to swing at the wind chimes, and now gets upset if I forget them.

Last Friday we hung out in the family room with any toy he has with wheels. He all of a sudden likes to push cars or trucks or trains on my great grandmother's old cedar chest, the top of which was scratched up and water damaged years ago. I just sit and marvel at how much of a little boy he has turned into, and wonder about how fast my little baby boy is growing up. I had my Ipod playing too, and a couple of times I'd yank him up and we'd take a turn about the dance floor, even remembering how to two-step, which I haven't done in awhile. It's just blissful to get to spend time with him like this. Really lazy, unhurried time. Plus we know Jav is on his way home, which is another reason to feel happy. It's the best time of the day.

No comments: