Friday, September 07, 2007

Match Point

This is the first time I've ever watched the U.S. Open starting from Round 1 (gotta love the DVR!). I've seen a few entire matches, but mostly some highlights or endings of almost every major match. It really does build the momentum of the tournament when you watch the whole thing and recognize the players. I'm happy Venus is still in it, but there are no American men still standing. I think I like watching the females better, anyway. The matches just seem to move quicker and the players seem more evenly matched, which makes for more exciting games. I had been rooting for an Israeli player named Shahar Peer, but she was beat by a 20-year-old Russian named Anna Chakvetadze, who is playing another Russian (Kuznetsova) for the finals today. On the men's side, American James Blakes's matches were legendary, as usual, even though he finally lost to German Tommy Haas. I'm now rooting for Serbian Novak Djokovic. I like the way he plays, and he has a charming attitude to match. Alot of big names were beat by virtual unknowns, which made things really interesting.

I have tennis fever in my blood, with my Dad having played for years and years (he was good enough to compete in amateur tournaments, but never did), my Mom played for years too, and my great Uncle Robert was still playing in his 60's. His knees and back finally gave out, but he still watches with a passion. One day I'll be inspired to pick up my racket again, only I really need some lessons to unlearn all the bad habits I've picked up.

No comments: