Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Doing absolutely nothing

Yesterday the weather was beautiful. After Gabriel's nap, we had a quick snack and ventured outside, as we do on nice weather days. He has his little things around the yard he likes to do every day. He likes to walk up and down the small ramp leading up to our back garage door. He likes to visit his sandbox, even though I keep forgetting to get some sand for it. He goes to the two trees where we hang the hammock and bangs the chains around. He has a very special hill leading down to the neighbors' fence that he likes to walk down backwards (this always cracks me up). While doing all of this he is constantly on the lookout for airplanes, and loves pointing them out to me. I usually have a few things to do out there too, like pick up Molly-poop or fill up our birdbaths or weed the flower beds.

But yesterday was so nice, we found ourselves just lying in the new springy grass in the middle of our backyard. It felt so cool on our skin. Every once in awhile a cool breeze would blow. We just sat there and did nothing for a good twenty minutes, which is a small miracle for Gabriel. Eventually Molly and Henry came over and joined us in our lolling about. I tried to get Bones to come over too, but it was more effort than I wanted to exert so I quit. I have a tendency to be sort of manic and never stop moving, and I SO don't want Gabriel to inherit that trait. So it was wonderful to be able to just sit and enjoy being outside. And do absolutely nothing.

No comments: