Thursday, May 29, 2008

Great motherhood quote

I read this in one of my Yoga Journal on-line articles. Diane Dillon, co-author of Mommy Mantras, says, "Mothering is very difficult and there is alot you can't control. But what you can control is how you think and how you respond." This is just so true.

If Gabriel wakes up from a nap early, I could be mad and resentful. Or, I can try to laugh it off and know we'll both sleep really well that night. If he wakes up crying at night (which he is doing several times a night due to molars coming in), I could be tense and worry about how much sleep I'm losing. Or, I can remember that he won't need me like this very much longer and realize how wonderful it is to hold him in the middle of the quiet night. This all occured to me on our trip to Fredericksburg, when I realized how much time I was spending chasing him around my uncle's house instead of sitting and relaxing. Last year, I probably would have been cranky and resentful about it. This year, it didn't bother me at all.

Once this realization set in, being a Mom has gotten so much easier.

No comments: