Friday, June 06, 2008

The cure for all that ails you

I'm always saying that laughter is the best medicine.  It was proven to me again last night.  We went to see Eddie Izzard at the Majestic last night.  It was a little over two hours of almost non-stop belly laughing.  And all the stress from this past week started to melt away.  I could actually feel it leaving my body as the show went on.  And I slept like a baby (although only for about 5 hours or so), for the first time in a long time.  But I'm really not here to talk about me.

This man has perhaps the most brilliant mind in history (and he's incredibly sexy too).  His intelligence never ceases to amaze me.  Of course, his audience has to be up there too to follow him, and even then it just makes your brain tired every now and then.  The show was mainly about religion, and sort of poking fun of different beliefs in a tasteful and respectful way.  He did this by throwing in tons of history, starting all the way back with the beginning of the planet.  I'm going to try to describe my favorite parts of the show, edited of course.  Otherwise I'd do my longest blog post in history.

There's really no evidence that dinosaurs went to church.  (this was a physical routine of what it would be like if they did, with hand shaking and squeezing into pews and hymn singing.)

How he thinks biblical figures like Noah did actually exist, but he probably only took his own livestock with him on the boat.  (this was a physical routine of Noah's poor wife trying to figure out where to put everything from giant squids to all the different types of spiders, and almost having a nervous breakdown).

This led to a tangent discussion (something Eddie is famous for) on how giraffes can't make any noise but coughing, so have to resort to charades to warn others of a tiger.  And about the fact that the only place giraffes have to hide is behind other giraffes, so if you see one standing on the African Sahara, there are probably 100 more crouching behind him.  

The wonder over how the Romans, with all their penchant for military prowess, were held back by the complexity of the Latin language.  Especially in tense situations when people started invading, and the messengers were struggling to find the right verb tense.

I really could go on, and on, and on with a never ending list of wonderful and funny parts to the show.  It's impossible to write how funny the man is.  His facials expressions and physicality are what make the show, so he is a dish best enjoyed live, or at least on a DVD.  (And did I mention I think he's dishy?)  He'll all of a sudden be inspired by a new idea and start thinking out loud about working on it for future shows.  Comic genius working right in front of your eyes.  The evening was a dream come true for me, one that I really needed after this long, hard week.  And one I will be remembering and laughing about for probably the rest of my life.  

No comments: