Monday, October 13, 2008

The boy can sing


Today is the first day Gabriel hummed a song and actually carried the tune.  He's been humming along for a couple of weeks, and occasionally even would go up or down at the right time.  But this was a distinctive melody, to "On the Good Ship Lollipop", a song my grandfather used to sing to me and the one I've probably been singing to him the longest.  I heard him on the monitor just after I put him down for a nap.

I knew he would be musical.  I've been playing music for him or singing to him since the day he was born, and he's always been so responsive.  His interest has really been cranked up a notch since I got two kid songs CDs (one with generic classics, but with a pretty good rock band, and one with Sesame Street classics.)  I really didn't want to cave in and play kid songs in the car, but after I saw how much his little face lit up and he started clapping every time it came on, I was hooked.  He's now standing up and clapping and dancing to music on TV.   He even made up his own composition last week, a little number we call, "The Quesadilla Song".  It basically consists of him sitting on the chair of his choice, swaying back and forth and clapping, while chanting "Dilla hmmm, dilla hmmmm, dilla hmmmm."  Etc...  Then the audience goes wild and he does it again.  

No comments: