Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Change of plans

Well, we didn't leave as planned.  Jav's Mom got sick and we are waiting one day to see if she feels well enough to go tomorrow.  If not then Gabriel and I aren't going either and Jav and his Dad will have to make the trip by themselves.  I realized at three in the morning that if Consuelo doesn't come along to help me with Gabriel, especially in the car, it just isn't a good idea for us to go.  She has never-ending patience and he would get tired of me somewhere around Waco.  It's an 11 hour drive, for Pete's sake!  

A little more about the James McMurtry (son of lauded author Larry McMurtry) concert.  We are new fans of his.  We discovered him through Abby Goldstein's former 90.1 Lone Star Saturday Night radio show (which was pure gold, and still very much missed in these parts).  We liked one song, so went out and bought a CD and really liked it.  Then recently Jav bought two more, and we both really liked them, too.  It's been a wish of Jav's to see him for about a year now, so it was really cool that he came to Dallas around his birthday.  He is very liberal, and most of the audience looked like people who had been to Woodstock-still with hippie long hair and tie-died clothing in various forms, just a little grayer and paunchier.  The only disappointment I had was that most of his songs I really like have different instruments in them, like an accordion or string instruments.  But he had one other guitar player, a bass player and a drummer.  But it was good bare bones rock and roll, so I can't complain too much.

But my gosh, am I not used to staying out that late anymore.      

2 comments:

Julie said...

Did I tell you guys that when I lived in Austin I was in the same neighborhood with James McMurtry? At least once he ended up in line behind me at the tiny grocery store I walked to. Of course I didn't say anything to him - not bold enough!

Anonymous said...

You never told me that! I probably wouldn't have known who he was at the time. Isn't he really tall, and sort of intimidating looking? And he looks like he's always a little cranky. I would have been afraid to talk to him too.