Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Am I smarter than a three-and-a-half-year-old?


Here's a conversation between Macy and I last night while I was giving her a bath:

Me:  "Ha, I squirted you with Gabriel's turtle!"
Macy:  "Aunt Kim, dat's not a turtle."
Me:  "Yes, it is."
Macy:  "No, it's not.  It's a snail."  
Me:  "No, Macy.  Look at it closer.  It's a turtle."
Macy:  "Aunt Kim, turtles have shells that lay fwat over their backs.  Snails have shells behind them that go in a circle."

Moments of silence pass.

Me:  "Gabriel will be so happy to find out he has a snail."

4 comments:

Christi (Hutchins) Dick said...

Kim, are ya tellin' us that you didn't know it was a snail?

Anonymous said...

Yep. We've been calling it a turtle for over a year.

Julie said...

I asked Alex and he said "A snail." I said "How do you know?"
He said "Because it has no legs!"
(once again in the voice indicating I was an idiot for not noticing).

Anonymous said...

Another really good point. I'm thinking I need to fine tune my powers of observation.