Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I have a new poet's works to explore.  W.S. Merwin, who is now an environmental activist as well as an essayist and poet, was interviewed on Fresh Air today.  Not only did I love the poems he read, I loved his philosophy on life, the environment and even getting older.  The hostess, Terry Gross (consistently one of the best interviewers I've ever heard) delicately asked how he was handling getting older and possibly having his body start to go out on him now that he has turned 80.  He said his main worry right now was his eyesight.  But then he talked of once having a dog that was blind, and every time he gets depressed or anxious about his failing sight, he remembers her amazing courage and it inspires him to move forward with less fear.  I was blubbering as I remembered my Henry and how his fearlessness still inspires me all the time. I also loved what he said about life and having respect for all life on this planet, no matter how small.  

Here is his poem, December Night:

The cold slope is standing in darkness
But the south of the trees is dry to the touch

The heavy limbs climb into the moonlight bearing feathers
I came to watch these
White plants older at night
The oldest 
Come first to the ruins

And I hear magpies kept awake by the moon
The water flows through its
Own fingers without end

Tonight once more
I find a single prayer and it is not for men

No comments: