Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Books, books, books!



My son has turned into a Reading Machine.  He always has a book in his hands.  He browses them while watching TV.  He takes them outside to sit on the sidewalk in the sun and read.  He gets upset when we make him put the book down to get into the bathtub or go to bed.  Really upset.   He sits and reads ten books or more before switching to his cars and trucks.  He looked at me last Thursday morning and said, "Tita's house?" and I said, "No, it's a school day".  So he thought about that for awhile and then said, "Library, Mama?"  I couldn't believe he was asking me to go to the library.  I told him we couldn't go that day, but we'd go the next day.  Well, he got up saying, "Library today Mama?" and I said yes, and then remembered they recently had to cut back hours and are closed on Fridays.  This did not go over very well, but I took him to PetSmart to look at birds and fish which kind of made up for it.  When Saturday arrived, he was running around the house shouting, "Library.  Hooray!!!"  We took home 15 books this time, and he loves all of them.  

I think it's all wonderful.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I see from the second photo that he is already reading chapter books - for the book club?

I'm glad to hear you brought home 15 books from the library. I never understood people with only a couple kid books in line in front of me as I stood weighted down with all my books. I felt sometimes like the greedy library user!

Kim said...

I sense other patrons (and sometimes even the Ladies checking out our books), with looks on their faces like, "Yea, I'm sure he's going to read ALL those books". But he does!

Julie said...

Of course we read all the books. And back the next Saturday for more!!!

Susan said...

Pretty soon he can join Grace in giving a book report at our book club. Won't that be fun!