Friday, May 08, 2009

My dream man


I am one of those lucky women who actually got to marry her dream man.  Now, I'm not talking about the actual Desi Arnaz, who was a cigar-smoking, skirt-chasing snake who made his wife (Lucille Ball) miserable throughout their turbulent years together.  I'm talking about the TV character he played, Ricky Ricardo.  When you grow up loving a show, sometimes it takes years to figure these things out.  But over all the years I watched "I Love Lucy",  somewhere along the way I fell in love with Ricky.  His Cuban charm, his faltering English, but most of all the way he stuck by Lucy no matter what kind of crazy trouble she caused. 

It's crazy to admit, but we ARE that TV couple.   Well, maybe not to the extreme in the show.  I have never locked myself in a freezer, or glued a fake beard on my face, or flubbed up a screen test for my husband.  But I continually do pretty goofy things and have that red-headed impulsiveness.  And Jav doesn't get so mad at me that he starts screaming at me in Spanish, but he has the qualities that made Ricky the perfect husband:  He's handsome, patient, loyal and full of that Latino passion.  Not to mention the faltering English, just every now and then.   It just adds to his overall charm.

Happy 5th Anniversary Javi.  I'm the luckiest woman in the whole wide world!

1 comment:

Christi (Hutchins) Dick said...

Earlier this morning I was just thinking about your lovely wedding. We must be on the same wavelength today. Must be the full moon.