Saturday, July 18, 2009

To get caught up, part two

June was a tough month for me.  I went from having doctor appointments every week to having to wait a whole month.  Even though I hit three months, and was supposed to stop worrying, I actually worried more and even went to the doctor once due to lower abdominal pain.  But everything was good.  When I would get really low, I would remember our wedding.  We had that one big rain shower that started when the ceremony began and ended just after the ceremony was ending, almost like God custom-made it for us.  The Lutheran bishop who married us claimed that it was good luck and meant fertility.  I know this sounds a little crazy, but I needed to find something to get me thinking positively, and it always seemed to work.  

We had the final round of our Early Testing in late June and got the best report we could have received for my age.  All development looked really good, and our chances of birth defects were greatly diminished.  We were pretty determined upon finding out about this pregnancy to NOT find out what we were having until the birth.  But, of course, we caved.  And found out within 20 seconds of the ultrasound starting that we were having another bouncing baby boy.  We really did not care either way, as long as it was a healthy baby.  I'm sure I'll have sad moments here and there in my life about not having the opportunity to have a daughter, and I'm a little sad that Jav won't get to have that truly special father/daughter relationship.  But even since high school I always had a feeling I'd have two boys, and would always pick out boys names when I dreamed of having kids one day.  I just had to wait a while to have my dream come true!

Also in June, Gabriel started going to Kindermuzic class once a week.  He was shy at first, but seemed to like it ok.  He really loosened up by the last class and was running around singing and spinning.  Our speech therapist advised us it would probably be really good for him to keep interacting with kids his own age during the summer.  We just started the second session but we're at a different church with a different teacher and all new kids.  Plus there's 10 kids compared to 4 in the last class.  The teacher for the first session, Miss Meagan, was young and unorganized and all over the place, but Gabriel really loved her.  The new teacher, Miss Bailey, is twice as old, very organized and structured, and quieter.  Time will tell if he starts to warm up to her, and the whole class.

We had our very fun and MUCH NEEDED Annual Girls' Trip with Julie, Audra and Jana, which ended up having to be only one night and in Fort Worth this year.  But we ate at Mexican Inn to get our trip started, stayed at the Worthington, browsed at the downtown Barnes and Noble, ate downtown  at Pizzeria Uno and then the next day decided on a whim to visit the stockyards, something none of us had ever done as tourists before.  We got there just in time to see the cattle drive down the street!  And we ate..... and ate..... and ate....then ate some more.  Julie kicked our butts playing the Seinfeld trivia game.  We tried an intervention to get Auddie onto Facebook, but failed.  And, of course, we laughed and laughed and laughed.  I'm already needing the next trip.  

I loved seeing Julie and the kids for their stay in Fort Worth.  Julie's book club meeting was fun, even though we didn't talk much about the book (which I'm halfway through and really liking) and opted for getting caught up while sitting around the dinner table.  We had tickets for a Ranger game, which I never thought I'd be able to attend due to the 100+ heat, but a freakish cool front blew through the night before our game and we got to go.  Oh how I've missed those games!!  I think we need to have a goal one day of going to a Ranger game at Yankee stadium, even though we may need to quietly cheer our guys on.  Those Yankee fans can be a bit scary!

And to wrap up my wrap up of what I've missed writing about, Jav got a job on July 8th.  It's a fantastic company called Aramark, and I can't tell you how happy and relieved we are.  He had to go through a phone interview and 4 in-person interviews, which was grueling but paid off in the end.  He beat out 80 other applicants, including two from inside the company.  I'm so proud of him!!!!  That really says something in this economy.  Our benefits through the old job run out August 31st, and the new ones kick in September 1st.  If that's not God taking care of us, I just don't know what is.  (And it's the same insurance company, so no worries about changing doctors and all of that)!  

Well, I think that gets me caught up.   There really is something to the theory about Pregnant Brain, and most of the time lately I just don't want to think that hard, but I am going to make an effort to post something at least once a week.

1 comment:

Christi (Hutchins) Dick said...

Kim, the things I love most about your posts are your willingness to be honest and vulnerable.