Thursday, July 30, 2009

Well, Bust my Buttons!


We watched The Wizard of Oz with Gabriel for the first time about a month ago, and I didn't expect him to watch very much of it.  He surprised us by sitting through the entire movie, and asking afterwards one of his favorite questions, "Dude it again?"  He just loved it, and never was afraid of anything (that might come a few years down the road).  

I remembered how much I loved the movie as a kid, but some of it really frightened me (especially the first time they all meet the Wizard, and the part when the witch takes Toto from Dorothy).  I also remember that I only got to watch it once a year, because that's the only time it showed on network TV.  I'm the first to celebrate the person who invented the DVR, because otherwise I'd be stuck watching what's on every night from 9:3o to 11:00 pm, the only time I get to watch TV.  But it does sort of take away the specialness of only getting to watch something once or twice a year.  So I'm trying to at least limit him to about once a month.  

But it's fun to see him get excited about something I loved too.  In fact, besides seeing your kids get excited about learning something new or being proud of themselves, the best part about being a parent is sharing nostalgic things with them.   Gabriel's favorite phrase to show off right now is the title of this post, uttered by the frazzled Gatekeeper of the Emerald City when he sees the ruby slippers on Dorothy's feet.  He says it perfectly, and it cracks me up every time.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I would LOVE to hear him say that!