Friday, February 12, 2010

Driving on ice, then and now

Yesterday we already had several inches of snow on the ground when we woke up. This never happens in Texas, unless it snowed the day before. I was not too happy about this, because I signed up to bring snacks to Gabriel's Valentine's party at MDO. But I was mainly upset because I didn't want to get Joel out in the snow, not because of the possibly slippery drive. Because, you see, I LOVE to drive on ice.

At least I used to.

We think this trait was inherited from my grandfather, who used to load up my Mom and uncle in the car anytime it sleeted just to drive around on it. After getting stuck on a hill and almost not making it home one icy night about 20 years ago, my Dad showed me how to downshift using my gears (even in my automatic transmission car), so that I would barely have to tap the brakes to stop. Ever since then I can't wait to get out there. I used to make everybody in my office angry because I would show up on time on snow days, and our boss would slightly rag on everybody else for getting there slowly (and probably safer, I might add) one by one. But that was all before I had kids.

When my children are in the car, I discovered that I felt like I had a huge target on the side of my vehicle. Everyone else was the enemy who might slide into us. As I inched my way on the iciest streets I'd ever driven on yesterday, I wondered if it was worth it just to deliver my 18 frosted Valentine's cookies (store bought, of course.) I was silently cursing the HEB school district for not realizing how dangerous it was out here and insisting on having classes yesterday. My Mom had suggested just dropping off the cookies and then taking Gabriel back home, thereby saving us the hassle and danger of getting out again to pick him up. So halfway there, I was explaining to him why he couldn't stay for the party, when I realized that I had left the damn cookies at home. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!!! I immediately pulled over and called to tell them that I had made it part of the way, but it was just too icy and I was going back home, and please apologize for me for ruining their party. I failed to mention my forgetfulness.

So we got turned around to head back home. The roads were just getting worse and worse. I forgot to downshift at a four-way stop and slid halfway into the intersection. Then once we got to our neighborhood it was even worse. Instead of just icy patches, it was like driving on an entire sheet of glass. I almost didn't make it up the driveway, but finally was successful. When I pulled into the garage, I burst into tears of relief. Maybe when the kids are older, my strange gusto for slippery driving might come back. But until then, I'll be one of those people who never even attempts to even leave the house.

Pictures of our snow day to follow.

No comments: