Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Little ecosystems

I'm a true believer in the power of ecosystems. If you don't meddle very much with nature, things happen as they are supposed to.

I can't believe people buy the Ortho, Round Up or Scotts this and that, and thereby believe in the theory that if you kill absolutely every living thing in your yard then you will be happier and it will be a better place. I'm actually surprised that these products are still allowed to be sold because of what ends up getting in the groundwater.

We never put pesticides or weed killers in our yard, and have used only organic fertilizer since we moved into this house. We stopped getting rid of wasp nests with bug spray. As a result, we have a thriving population of "good" creatures that keep the "bad" creatures under control. We have geckos the size of small gators. I have seen possibly three cockroaches around our house since we moved in 5-1/2 years ago. We have the geckos to thank for that.

Twice now, I have caught little lizards drinking from our shallow water dishes. That's why I think it's alright to meddle a little bit with nature, and help them out with some water during the dry times. I also see bees, wasps, and other bugs taking drinks, and we all know how important these little guys can be in the big pollination picture now.

And of course, we have a thriving bird population. I think waking up to the short little "chirps" of our cardinal couples is the nicest alarm clock you could have. I always get panicky when we have long, hot, dry spells like the one we're in. I worry about things I have no control over, like the ducks in our shrinking duck pond I mentioned in an earlier post. Then I realize that all I can do it make sure our little ecosystem around our house is well taken care of. And it appears to be thriving.

No comments: