Monday, February 21, 2011

Perfect weekend, and then some


The groceries for the week were all bought on Friday morning. The house was totally clean by 9:am Saturday morning. These are the first clues that this was not going to be an ordinary weekend.

First up on Saturday was a neighborhood Moms group playdate. We thought seven kids were going to be here, which would have been the biggest turnout ever. But the same two Moms (with one Dad) and their kids showed up, which was fine because we've gotten to know each other and it's comfortable to be around them now. It was nice enough to go outside, thankfully, and I think everybody had a good time. This was the 8th or so get together with this group, and I'm so glad it exists. It may not last long, though, as the other kids become old enough for public school. Their parents may decide they don't want to fork over the big bucks for private school and start looking for a better and safer school district. Can't say that I blame them.

After everyone left I had two hours to get the kids lunch, get Joel to sleep, and get myself ready. Because Ladies and Gentlemen, I was having myself a Saturday night. Ok, I guess it was really a Saturday afternoon and early evening. But still, the first date that Jav and I have had since Joel was born was going to finally take place, and I didn't really care what time it was. We love doing early date nights because we get home in time to put the boys to bed and still have some wind down time. My sister-in-law and her boyfriend had offered to watch the boys for us so we could go out for Valentine's Day. And now that I am weaning Joel, I finally felt comfortable enough to leave him for both a movie and dinner.

We went to The Movie Tavern, our first experience there. We ordered two beers and a basket of fried pickles and sat back to enjoy the show. And enjoy is an understatement, because we saw The King's Speech. Even with all the Oscar hoopla and multiple articles read about the movie, my expectations were blown away. It was so good that 45 minutes or so into it I was wishing I could watch it again. Jav and I both can't get enough of movies based on true stories, and we really didn't know much about this one. It was amazing to us how suspenseful it got leading up to the big speech (of the title), when it's already one of the most famous speeches in history. We spent any free moments the rest of the weekend looking up the true story to compare to the movie and answer a few questions we had. Any time I find myself thinking about a movie weeks afterwards, I know it was a good one. I anticipate thinking about this one for a long time.

Then dinner at So7 Bistro, located in the very trendy uptown Ft. Worth off 7th street (also where the movie tavern was). We had a Groupon for $40 worth of food for $20, plus I got $5 off because it was my first time to use Groupon. (I want to do a whole post about Groupon someday). Not a bad deal, and the food was really good. They bill themselves as French mixed with new American, but we thought it was odd that the awnings surrounding the bistro said, "pizza and burgers, bar and grill". It seemed like they were still trying to find themselves. But it was good, and we sat outside (something we never thought we'd be able to do in February). It reminded both of us of eating in sidewalk cafes in Europe. Without the 500 year old church across the street.

When we got home Gabriel wouldn't talk to us at first, and last night at bedtime I figured out that it was because his feelings were hurt that we didn't take him with us to see a movie. Tonight, after I told him a story and sang to him, he apologized for not talking to us when we came home on Saturday, and said he would try to do better next time. Apparently it was still on his mind!

Saturday night going into Sunday I got a full 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep, something that I never, ever get. After a big breakfast we took the boys to the park. It wasn't too crowded and the weather turned out to be cool and cloudy. Perfect park weather! After romping around for an hour or so, we got out Gabriel's tricycle so he could practice in the empty part of the parking lot. He has improved like crazy since the last time we brought him with the trike. When we got back home he was so tired he didn't even make lunch. He conked out on his bed. After lunch we all took naps. And after dinner I got to take Molly for a walk all by myself, another thing I love to do on Sundays.

Monday morning Joel, Gabriel and I walked Molly just as a front blew in. When we left it was muggy and warm. When we got home it was chilly with a blustery north wind. Gotta love Texas weather! Gabriel is doing really well on our walks, which are averaging 1.5 to 2 miles, with two really big hills to walk up. That's alot of steps for his little legs! Then we played in the backyard until lunchtime. It's so nice to be able to play outside again!




No comments: