Sunday, December 16, 2012

Two funny stories...

...about language.

#1:  We have been listening to Christmas music for weeks now.  Gabriel has started to enjoy my Annie Lennox Christmas CD, which is a bit out there.  There is a French carol on it called "Il Est Ne, Le Divine Enfant", that she sings entirely in French.  For some reason Gabriel has started requesting it every time we get in the car, "Mommy, can I hear the French song?"  And I love it, so I play it.  Joel quietly listens but hasn't said much while we are trying to sing along.


So tonight Jav was giving them a bath and letting them listen to one of the Pandora kid songs station.  The original version of "Ma Na Ma Na" was playing when Joel came out of the bathroom, hair wet and smelling so sweet, and looked for me as he always does.  When I saw him I said, "Is that Ma Na Ma Na?"  And after saying, "Yeth",  he looked at me very knowingly and said, "It's French."



#2:  I always think to myself (or maybe I've even told people out loud), that I fell in love with my husband years ago while watching, "I Love Lucy".  Jav IS Ricky Ricardo.  Not the boozing, cigar-smoking, skirt-chaser Desi Arnaz, thank the Lord.  The charming, smiling, sexy, adoring husband of Lucy.  Jav even has the hot temper, he just saves it for only truly necessary situations.  I also always found the English language confusion such a charming characteristic of Ricky.  And my husband, despite living in this country all of his life, still gets a tad bit confused every once in awhile.

We were out on a much needed date night a week ago Saturday.  We had seen Skyfall, and were giddy with the pleasure of just seeing a really good movie and were sitting down enjoying a nice, long dinner.  We were still discussing how good the movie was, and how wonderful it was that the climactic ending was in Scotland, where we spent our honeymoon and want to visit again some day.  I was saying that I would love to take the boys, and he thought that even though it would be fun to show them where we spent our favorite parts of our trip, that it could never be the same or as special as our honeymoon was.  He announced that he would rather go to France, because neither of us have been there.  I said I would love to see the French countryside, but I wasn't sure about Paris.  I've heard good and bad things about it.  His reply was, "Oh, but we HAVE to go to Paris, because I want to do the luge!!!!"

Really?!?!?  I never saw him as the Olympic Winter Sports-type.




No comments: