Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Getting braver in the kitchen

I have been really enjoying Pinterest, mostly for the recipes.  I am not a Pinterest browser, I finally discovered.  It took me awhile to realize I like to get an idea for a meal or baked treat in my head, then search for the recipe that looks most appealing and pin it.  It surprised me to realize how many Pins I have actually tried out since fall.  My family is loving it, and there have been very few things that haven't turned out well.

My latest try was last night:  Baked Chicken Flautas.  The big leap of faith I took for this one was that I was to poach the chicken thighs.  I have never poached anything, and was skeptical of how easy it seemed.  All I did was put the thighs in a deep saute pan (a Calphalon pan someone gave to me as a gift that I have used twice, maybe), and cover them up with two beers and two cups of water.  Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.  Done.  Then shred the chicken after it cools a bit and add my Mexican spices.  It was so juicy, not greasy or soggy at all.  Success!!!!!

Then I sauteed 3 cups of chopped fresh spinach and some chopped roasted red bell peppers (the recipe called for a jalepeno pepper, but my kids won't eat anything that spicy), in a little of the leftover poaching liquid.  Then wrapped up the chicken, spinach mixture and some grated cheese into halved burrito-sized tortillas (this took a little time to keep it from all falling out), put them in a greased cookie sheet, brushed with olive oil.  Baked for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then turned and brushed the other side with oil, another 10 minutes.

They were absolutely delicious!  Especially with my homemade guacamole.  It was a perfect meal, and relatively easy other than shredding the chicken and rolling up the flautas.  I'll be quicker next time, and I'll remember to take a picture!!!  I get so involved in getting it done as quickly as possible, I always forget to take a picture of the finished product.  I stole this picture just so you'll have something yummy to look at while you read, but they looked almost exactly like this.




Here is the link to the recipe.

No comments: