Thursday, January 09, 2014

Loss of innocence

Gabriel watched his first EVER PG-13 movie on New Year's Eve with us.  Jurassic Park proved to be a really good choice for this, since he only wanted to cover up his eyes once or twice during the movie.  He asked questions, and seemed ok with even the scarier parts.  I stil get chills during that kitchen scene when those raptors are hunting the kids.  It's just plain scary!!!


He came home from school yesterday and excitedly told me that a classmate of his told him that The Amazing Spiderman 2 is coming out, and I said, "But you haven't seen the first one.", and he sadly shook his head, "Nope".  I think he is ready to start watching some superhero movies, as long as one of us watches with him in case he has questions.  Our problem is that Joel wants to do everything Ba-Ba does.  We lucked out on NYE.  We watched The Muppet Movie first, and Joel fell asleep within minutes of Jurassic Park starting.  I know we could just tell Jojo he has to go to bed and Gabriel can stay up.  But that is easier said than done.  I think we'd have a hard time getting him to stay in bed, and I really don't want to get into a power struggle with that one.  It's not a safe bet that I will win.  So we're considering doing this double feature method more often.  I don't even know if G is interested in seeing The Avengers or Batman or any of those movies, but I hate the thought of his friends at school all talking about them and he has no idea what they're talking about.  Why this bothers me I have no idea.  I vowed I would never succumb to parental or friend peer pressure.  But bother me it does, a little.

I know we have sheltered Gabriel somewhat up to this point.  He still doesn't watch TV with commercials.  We don't ever watch the news, so he has no "bigger picture" of what goes on in the world.  I don't want to scare him half to death, but I do think it's time to let him know there are some sad and sometimes scary things that happen in the world.  And we can talk about them.  But once again, I run into the Jojo problem - I don't think he is ready to see a newscast, the way they are filled with pretty horrific stuff these days.  Maybe Joel can have his Ipad time in the other room while Gabriel and I watch, or something.

It freaks me out how mature and big this boy is getting.  But look at that face.  That face is so sweet and innocent.  I don't want to mess that up!





1 comment:

Julie said...

My kids still probably haven't seen an actual newscast, except for maybe when bad weather is coming through (when all they report on is weather and nothing else). Though Alex has seen just about every superhero move that has been released since he was about 3 or 4 (except for the Batman with the Heath Ledger joker - he already has a clown phobia and we just don't need to add to that).