Thursday, February 06, 2014

Book Club - a resolution I forgot

I left something off my resolution list.  I missed most of my book club meetings last year.  Even though many times it was due to Jav having to work in Dallas on Wednesday nights (he normally wouldn't get home until 8 or after, and since the meeting usually wraps up by 8:30 it was just impossible) I have to admit to myself that I was finding it too hard to get the books and read them in time.  I think I only read two or three books.

I would find myself three weeks into the month before I would realize that I never searched for the book, and there would be no way I could finish an entire book in a week with my life.  I need AT LEAST a whole month usually.  But I had also gotten into a very bad habit of thinking I needed to watch TV to relax every night.  I would get so sleepy doing this that I would'nt be able to stay awake to read.  My boss, who used to be part of our book club, had predicted that once I had kids I would never have time to read,  At the time, I thought, "Never!!"  But here I was having to admit it had come true.

I have always been a reader.  I fell in love with books at the age of 5 and never looked back.  Gabriel is now the same way, and I think Joel will be too soon.  But somewhere along the way in the last few years I abandoned books for TV, computer, and my smart phone.  Not a very satisfying way to get to sleep!  So I have been not turning on anything with a screen since the new year started.  Maybe just to fold laundry for a half hour, but that's it.  Then I curl up with my book and read at least one chapter a night, pick up my crossword puzzle book, and blissfully fall fast asleep.

My new strategy also includes getting the book early, early, early.  I prefer library books, where it normally takes a week or so to get the book if I have to reserve it.  I finished our February book early, and immediately went online to reserve the March book when it was announced.  I picked it up yesterday and already don't want to put it down.  (It takes place in Scotland - sigh....)

I went last night to our meeting and realized how much I have missed them!  The food, the reflections and opinions of these smart and funny women, talking about books, books and more books, and most importantly catching up with what's happening in their lives.  Joyce made us High Tea, since the book took place in England where they are always making pots of tea to celebrate, deal with crisis, and everything else.  Isn't it a pretty table?

When I got home I felt uplifted, and on a spiritual and mental high just from spending time with everyone.  The way I always feel after our meetings.  And that's why I hope to make every single meeting this year.

1 comment:

Gramma said...

We really did have a good time discussing the book and just visiting with each other. And eating Joyce's great food. You have been missed so much. I too need to plan better on my reading and put away my iPad at night. So I'll join you in your resolution.