Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Moonrise Retreat Day Two - Fishing


My cousin Laurie and her husband Daniel are two of my favorite people.  I have such happy memories of vacations to visit them just after they were married, with a new home built out in the country.  My brother and I romped around their land, rode their old horse Stonewall, stood statue still on the back porch so hummingbirds would feed right next to our heads, and climbed big piles of dirt and almost got bitten by a scorpion (actually just my brother did that one). They still own the land, and they offered to take the boys fishing on Monday night in their pond there.  I asked if they would mind if the boys rode with them in Daniel's giant Dooley pickup truck, because Joel had never ridden in a truck before.  It turned out great, because they got to know the boys.  And the boys LOVED Daniel.  He asked if they wanted to help him search for the cows so he could feed them and keep them away from the pond where we'd be fishing. I'd say those are two pretty happy faces in the pic above!


While the boys searched for the cows, Laurie checked on the goats, some of which had had babies recently.  Her faithful donkey, Jack, is seen up front and center.  



It was a beautiful night.  We didn't realize Daniel and the boys gave up trying to find the cows and started fishing.  We missed Joel catch his first fish EVER!  While the boys fished Laurie and I sipped wine out of paper cups and caught up with each others' lives.  At one point Laurie said that we had a visitor.  I turned around and saw an armadillo about 2 feet away from me!  It shyly ( or slyly!) ran off as soon as I spotted it.  The boys ran out of bait and gave up; no one caught anything except Joel's first fish that they threw back, some weeds off the bottom, and sometimes each others' lines.  But they still had a blast, and I'm grateful to Laurie and Daniel for taking time out to spend with us and get to know the boys.  

Sunset on the way back home
Tired boys


No comments: