Monday, June 13, 2005

36 candles?

We were flipping through channels last night and found Sixteen Candles. And although it was edited (I'm sure Jake only said "Hug me" into the phone when Samantha's grandmother answered it in the middle of the night), it was still really fun to watch. "WE", the station it was on, was calling it a chick flick. I really take issue with this, both because I remember watching it just after high school with all my female AND male friends (that was such a fun Lubbock road trip), and because my husband was laughing alot harder than me while watching last night.

I heard this past Thursday that they are planning a sequal to the movie, and that Molly Ringwald had already signed on. I haven't researched to see if it's true, but how on earth are they going to do this? Are Samantha and Jake coping with marital problems and the pressure of having three kids? Does Anthony Michael Hall (was his name "Ted?-I should know this) come back and try to steal Samantha - claiming that he's always loved her and no one else? How about Long Duc Dong - has he moved on from his "Lec - Big Lec", and become a famous stock car driver? Does John Cusack decide this would be a good career move? I just can't see it. It seems like anything will ruin the innocent genius of the first film. I think Hollywood needs to come up with some originality and stop trying to rehash the classics. (Even though I will probably be one of the first to see "Willie Wonka". I'm such a hypocrite!)

1 comment:

Julie said...

"I never been so happy my whole life"

"Now I have a place to put my hands"

Anthony Michael Hall was referred to as Farmer Ted by Samantha's friends, but I think in the credits he is only referred to as "The Geek".

And as for "Willie Wonka" (which we will also be in line to see), I understand that it is NOT a remake of the original movie, but a reinterpretation of the book, so I don't think we're being hypocritical!