Sunday, July 10, 2005

Drool factor, today vs. yesterday

I love watching old movies. And I think we are hard-pressed to find leading men these days that have the same charisma and sex appeal that the stars of yesterday had. Here are some favorites of mine from days gone by:

Robert Mitchum - a manly man if there ever was one. Don't really like his movies much, but like watching him.

Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music - I still want to marry him, in a huge church in Austria, followed by the longest train you've ever seen on a dress, with all the nuns watching and smiling.

Yul Brynner - who needs hair when you are shooting off charisma like this man could? The King and I, The Magnificent Seven.

Paul Newman - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hud, etc... etc... And he STILL looks good.

Rossano Brazzi - younger in Summertime, with Katherine Hepburn...older in South Pacific. Just about the best looking man I've ever seen, and he's Italian!

I think there are a few of today's hotties that can carry the leading man tradition.

George Clooney - He has the smokey, manly quality, but he seems the same in every role he plays. Maybe that's not a bad thing?

Russell Crowe - ok, so maybe he's TOO manly sometimes. He seems pretty lovable in Cinderella Man. But it's his real-life persona that gets him in trouble.

Johnny Depp - Definitely off the scale on drool factor. Although I don't think his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory look is going to do anything for me.

And this is my strange one, but I add Toby McGuire to this list. He may be a bit diminutive, and his voice hasn't quite dropped yet, but his eyes are the kind you could lost in.

Any thoughts out there?

2 comments:

junebee said...

Ya, CP in "The Sound of Music" was really hot. My aunt digs Paul Newman. And Johnny Depp is definitely a hottie in my book excepts he's so incredibly liberal that it completely offsets all of his hottiness (is that a word?!) But he is really versatile, from "Edward Scissorhands" to "Blow" to "Chocolat"? I mean, who else could do that? I remember when he was on "21 Jump Street". I worked at a residential (mental health) treatment facility and all the teenage girl residents were NUTS about him. The official therapy schedule even had "21" slotted as an activity on Sunday nights...

A couple of years ago, a co-worker and me were HUGE Rutger Hauer fans. Nobody's really stoked my fire since Brandon Lee in "The Crow" (and a couple of other really obscure films that he was in).

Julie said...

Yum - can I say that part of the reason I love Johnny Depp is BECAUSE he is so liberal???

Also I have to add Brad Pitt, mainly because of how great he and George Clooney look in the Oceans movies!

Oh, and Tom Selleck. Just because I think Magnum PI had such a great impression on me at an early age.