Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Short little span of attention

My husband's in the other room watching Lost. We kept missing it during the regular season, so vowed to try to watch the reruns since we had so many people telling us how good it was. I lasted one episode. I've noticed as I've gotten older that I just can't sit down and watch TV like I used to. Part of this can be blamed on shoddy television shows. And another part of my problem is that I can't sit still for long. But I think I've discovered another problem.

I've become so used to multi-tasking that I can't focus on any one thing longer than about 10 minutes. I truly worry that one day, when we hopefully have children, that I will lose track of what they are saying to me after awhile while my mind drifts onto what we should have for dinner that night, or whether or not I'll have to do laundry before we run out of underwear. Part of my problem is hereditary - my mother's the same way, and does housework flitting from room to room partially finishing task after task. But I think the biggest culprit is the barrage of media that is forced down our throats these days. We have one main newscast going on, while a ticker of headlines runs underneath, along with the stock quotes along top, and now some news outlets have added moving media along the side too. This is ridiculous. One person cannot possibly read all of that stuff at the same time, unless you are between 11 and 19 years old. And now we have to check email all day long, check our cell phones for messages, voice and text. The distractions are neverending!!

Back to TV, though, I used to have all kinds of TV shows I watched regularly, but the only show I watch on a regular basis now is TLC's What Not To Wear. Sad, isn't it? For some reason it relaxes me to see people humiliated on TV for choosing paisley. I'll be interested in The Sopranos when they start up again, but we decided to cancel HBO in between seasons. Neither one of us was too interested in Six Feet Under this year (I think it's depressing - all that death). As far as comedies go, I started getting into Everybody Loves Raymond just before they decided to end the show. Nothing's been as good as Seinfeld, and probably nothing ever will be.

All of this TV wasteland has lead me back to my love of reading, which I had drifted away from for years. Luckily, a good book can still hold my attention longer than 10 minutes.

3 comments:

junebee said...

Ya, the nice thing about books is they don't have commercials or pop-ups. They don't drop the call, they don't crash, and you can't multi-task when you're reading them (at least I can't).

If you have kids, your multi-tasking skills will come in WAY handy. If you ever thought you had too much time on your hands, kids will definitely change
that tune.

I think most TV sucks too. Maybe I'm very nostalgic, but it ain't what it used to be. I mostly watch Food Channel, NWI (Newsworld International, a Canadian channel) and PBS. I have never been into a single reality show. I couldn't care less about reality shows.

Kim said...

I love the Food Channel too. The only reality show I thought was worth watching was The Biggest Loser, because I thought they were really helping people to live healthier, longer lives.

Julie said...

We actually used to really like the Amazing Race - the contestants had to do challenges that they really had to think about (rather than eating really gross stuff). Of course the only thing we watch regularly now is The Daily Show and Six Feet Under (though we are a little disappointed with it this season). Can't wait for Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusium to start up again!