Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Eggplant Phobia

I have always been a little afraid of eggplant. They're such big vegetables. I think I may have tried buying one several years ago, but the sight of it intimidated me so much I finally just threw it away. I finally got brave again this past weekend and purchased two for a recipe I was going to try tonight. I decided to just make regular spaghetti and meat sauce, and after frying the eggplant slices, I'll chop them up and add them in the sauce. Our friend Christine makes homemade Eggplant Parmesan every Christmas. It takes her 3 days, waiting for the eggplant to flatten out under an iron skillet and lose all their moisture. It's one of the best things I've ever tasted. I've doused my peeled slices with Kosher salt, and am waiting for them to dry out a little before continuing. I feel like now that I've jumped over this hurdle, I'm ready for my own show on the The Food Network.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, when you start ranting about eggplant and discussing how much you love shopping at the Haltom City Farmer's Market using terms that make me think that we may need to do an intervention, I wonder who your real Mom is - because I'm certain it isn't me. Just kidding - I really enjoy your food blogs. They make me hungry.

Julie said...

Ooh - I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think eggplant are just beautiful veggies, but I have also been scared to cook them. Ever since Mom burned it once back when we were kids but made us eat it anyway. I don't think I had it again until college when a friend of mine made some Eggplant Parmesan for me (his version was okay, but probably not as good as Christine's).

Hmm...maybe you can have us over for dinner in the new house...

Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe the challenge is that everyone should try an eggplant recipe and report back on Kim's blog.

Kim said...

Well, it was a definite success! I had to force the fork out of Jav's hand to make him stop eating. Eggplants may be big, but I have tamed them and am no longer afraid. Bring on the recipes!