Wednesday, September 21, 2005

That Most Calming of Places

Continuing my food theme tonight, I wanted to pay tribute to one of my favorite places to visit every weekend: The Haltom City Farmers' Market. I decided about a year and a half ago to purchase my produce from a Farmers' Market instead of a chain grocery store, or, God forbid, Wal-Mart. My reasons for this decision are fresher produce, cheaper prices, and support of local farmers (for the most part). I can't explain the wonderful calm feeling I get as I walk around choosing my fruits and vegetables for the week. I'm not sure if it has to do with the clientele, which is made up of older people and hippie types, with some in betweens thrown in. Or if it's the people that run it - a guy that I think is the owner listened to me for 10 minutes explaining my Elephant Sanctuary T-shirt I had on last weekend. Or if I am just comforted surrounded by all of that healthy, colorful and enticing produce. All I know is that I've come to NEED my weekly visit, almost like a fix. I always walk back to my car whistling and in a great mood.

No comments: