Sunday, September 25, 2005

Living off the land

I started a little herb garden about three weeks ago. Everything's thriving except the cilantro, which I've apparently over-watered. It makes me feel so self-sufficient to go outside, clip off some basil or rosemary, wash and dry them and use them for dinner that night. I can't imagine the feeling I'd get if I ever tried a vegetable garden. My grandfather used to have a beautiful garden every year. He'd plant tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, squash, and bell peppers. I think he had lettuce, green onions and potatoes too. He was retired, though, and had enough time to devote a good chunk of time to weeding, watering, and outsmarting pests. I just don't have that kind of time. I think I would just end up frustrated and craving home grown tomatoes with goat cheese and black pepper. And watching some crows eat my tomatoes from afar. Maybe someday I'll try some container gardening. Until then, I will continue to enjoy my herbs - we had yellow and zucchini squash with thyme tonight. I think Bapaw would be very proud.

No comments: