Friday, September 23, 2005

Pets are family too

I am horrified at so many tragic things that have happened because of the hurricanes and subsequent evacuations. But the thing that gets me the most is that people are expected to leave their homes without their pets. I know not all people think like me. But in this house, our pets are part of our lives, and members of our family, and I can't even fathom leaving them behind. Why can't some of the pet rescue organizations get together with the evacuation centers and have kennels set up? I think I've heard a couple of stories about this type of legislation getting started, and that people should write to their Congress person in support of it. After all, these people are losing everything. Shouldn't they be allowed to keep this happy part of their lives?

I was also moved in a positive way to see so many volunteers trying to help out with pet rescue efforts after Katrina. And to hear how much money was raised by organizations like http://www.noahswish.com/. It turns out there are alot more people who think like me out there than I thought. Maybe with time and luck, all of us can change things for the better.

1 comment:

Parveneh said...

My thoughts exactly, Kim. I would never evacuate without my pet. He's like my child. That is just cruel.