Friday, October 14, 2005

Packing, Moving, Baseball

These are the three things that have kept me from posting recently. We have upped our move date from 11/19, to 11/12, and now it's 11/5. Yikes!! I've gone from thinking I had PLENTY of time to slightly panicking to being absolutely freaked-out within one week. We close on Oct. 28th. On the 29th we have the flooring guy out to give us a quote, on Halloween we will get the foundation repaired, and the rest of the week will bring new fencing, new security system, a new wall (hopefully), and a new fridge delivery.

I've been pondering why I get so panicked about things. Why am I not a calmer, more laid-back person, like my husband? I guess in that department we truly do make up one whole person. I bought a meditation how-to book about a month and a half ago. I did the first exercise, felt pretty silly the whole time, and haven't picked it up since. Not sure if it's the silly feeling or a time issue. Probably a combination of both. Luckily it was only $4 at Half Price Books, my new favorite store.

But I've found a substitute for sitting cross-legged on a pillow humming mantra to myself. It's called Henry. I can pick him up and put him in my lap, and pet him for a good 15 minutes while my brain takes a break and thinks about nothing. I already knew that petting an animal lowers your blood pressure, but I didn't know it could save your marriage and keep you from being put in a padded cell! My husband uses baseball (or any sports, but this time of year baseball is king!) for this calming effect. This works for me to a point, but it doesn't shut down my "what do I need to be doing instead of this" voice. Only Henry works.

Now if I could only train the pets to help me put STUFF in boxes instead of themselves.

No comments: