Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Movies, movies, movies

We've been trying to catch up on some of the movies we missed recently. We watched Crash. What a movie! There is a scene that will remain with me as one of the best scenes ever in a movie. I'm glad it's getting recognized. It's weird because while we were watching it, I kept thinking it was a little over the top, but I'm still thinking about it almost a month later, if that tells you anything. And the actors are all great. (Well, except Brendan Fraser).

We'll have The Constant Gardener to watch this weekend. I'd like to try to cram in three or four more before the Academy Awards ceremony. Walk the Line, Brokeback Mountain, and Good Night and Good Luck are the top three on my list, with Capote a runner up. I have no desire to see Munich after hearing about it.

I'm in the middle of watching Adam's Rib at home. I think the best performance in the movie is Judy Holliday - who I don't really know anything about. But I'm always fascinated by Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn movies. I can't tell if they were just superb actors or if they couldn't hide how much in love they were, but their relationships on screen are more real and more believable than any others I've seen. If you ever get a chance - watch this one, State of the Union, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

ADDENDUM TO ORIGINAL POST:
Amazingly enough, Born Yesterday with Judy Holliday was on TCM last night. She was great in this one-and won the Academy Award for her performance as a woman who never really stopped to use her brain until William Holden opens up the grand doors of history and learning to her. I think she would have gone on to become one of the greatest actresses of her day if she had not died from breast cancer at the early age of 43.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

EXCEPT Brendan Fraser???!!! What have you got against one of the most diverse actors of our time...drama, comedy, action, etc...ie Gods and Monsters, School Ties, George of the Jungle, The Mummy. He was GOOD in this movie!! Come on, admit it!! :)