Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Magical Book

I read Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking during the holidays. I had heard her interviewed and decided I had to read this book. It chronicles the year after the unexpected death of her husband, and during which their only daughter is in and out of a coma. Since the book came out her daughter passed away also. You would think it would be one of the most depressing books ever, but it's not. It is written so honestly and with a matter-of-fact style, and it rings so true about what your mind and body go through while coping with grief. But I only got really teary-eyed a couple of times. I found myself agreeing with and sympathizing with her so often, I feel like I know her personally now. I have never read her work before this book, but I am ready to get started on some of her fiction works. I think the best thing about reading it during the holidays was how appreciative it made me of my family, and how I didn't want to take them or anything about my life for granted. I highly recommend it.

No comments: