Monday, January 15, 2007

Winter, in Texas?

What a lovely couple of days we've had. It turns out the weather was pretty nasty all weekend, but we didn't actually receive the ICY/ARCTIC BLAST that we were warned about until last night. We've been taking care of Gabriel, eating and sleeping, and that's about it. Our metabolisms have been reduced to that of a three-toed sloth. Hibernation can be a good thing!

I made garlic soup Saturday night, which to me is the absolute best thing you can eat on a cold night. You can really feel first your insides then your outsides warming up. Yesterday I made chili in the "slow cooker". When did crockpots become "slow cookers"? And why did the makers of "slow cookers" think that this would be a more glamorous name? Anyway, my food intake has been about twice the normal rate, but I've been moving slower so who knows how many pounds that translates into. But I really don't care. Everybody needs slow-moving weekends like this every once in awhile. It's just sad that it has to ice over to make us slow down and realize it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what there is about a little frozen precipitation that makes me immediately sleepy and hungry, but I agree - it was a great, SLOW weekend and we practically ate ourselves into a coma.

For anyone else who reads this blog a word of explanation about this picture that I am choosing to title "Chair 'o Grandchildren". That is definitely Gabriel peeking around Cade's shoulder, and that is Cade peeking around Macy's shoulder. Macy didn't want to hold Gabriel and Cade was sick and wanted to proceed to the Christmas present opening, so with the exception of Gabriel who actually wasn't thrilled about the idea, basically no one wanted their picture taken. This was the best we could do. (I still think they are awfully cute kids.)