Friday, July 13, 2007

Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes

Jav started a new job this week, and we are pretty excited about it. He left Perot Systems, with their 20,000+ employees worldwide, for a smaller, privately owned company called Sonitrol. They are a security company that uses sound to monitor businesses and the occasional wealthy residence. (We actually used Sonitrol where I used to work with much success). They've been around since the 60's, and have been really growing over the past couple of years, buying up smaller security companies here and there. They have only 700 employees nationwide. Jav says the difference in the sizes of the companies is already like night and day.

We are glad about this for so many reasons. First off, Jav has his same boss that he worked very well with at Perot. She actually stole him away, which means she knows what a great employee and all-around great person Jav is. Jav already knows what to expect from her, and that she is very fair about letting him off for family things if necessary. Secondly, he has room to possibly move up here. He had pretty much hit the ceiling at Perot, unless he wanted to start over in another department. And I think he will find more satisfaction in a smaller company where his voice will be heard. And thirdly, he's closer to home. Instead of his one-way commute taking an hour and a half, in takes him 45 minutes with heavy traffic. And I know where the place is since we drove out the day before his interview to find it. (I never really wanted to see Perot. I had a picture of an almost cult-like place in my head.) It's also nice that he didn't really have to pound the pavement looking for a new job. I truly hope he will be happy at Sonitrol, and have a gut feeling that he will be.

Also, my sister-in-law is leaving her teaching position at the private Catholic school she's held for 15 years for one at a public school in Mansfield, where she's been named head of the department. I'm very glad she was brave enough to leave her comfort zone and venture into unknown waters. Go Sandra!

And, my Dad, at the ripe old age of 63, was promoted from Assistant Principal to Principal. He will head up Jo Kelly (sorry about the previous mispelling-I assumed it was named after a man), a wonderful school for severely disabled kids. I think my Dad is great, of course. But it really does take a special kind of person to want to care for these kids. It can be very stressful, and upsetting (dealing with their private lives), and I am so proud of my Dad for not only achieving this post, but for wanting to change to a career where he is making a difference in so many kids' lives.

1 comment:

ibt365, aka brian said...

Thanks for sharing. Great News All of it. And I must say, I found myself nodding and smiling as I read the last paragraph. It is a wonderful thing.