Tuesday, August 21, 2007

When I grow up I wanna be a ...

I was offered what most sane people would have considered a dream job for a stay-at-home Mom a couple of weeks ago. I would have been able to work from home and set my own hours, all without too much loss of time with Gabriel. The job was offered by a good friend of mine's husband, who has his own software consulting, installation, and maintenance business. He customizes the software for small businesses and has done really well for himself. His bookkeeper quit last March and he'd been trying to keep up with things on his own ever since. He was finding it too difficult to be both a bookkeeper and a salesman/technician, and thought about me. I think the work itself would have been comparatively easy after the initial learning curve of learning new software and how he likes things done.

I thought about this long and hard, and had decided to accept. But my husband kept putting the brakes on my enthusiasm. He wondered if the small addition of income every week would be worth my time given up with Gabriel. But he also reminded me that back in December when I quit, I vowed to try something different, something besides accounting. Something I really wanted to do that would not be a hum-drum "I do this work because I have to" job.

What a wonderful husband I have, and I am SO glad he stopped me. I called the man and politely declined his offer. Since then I have been really thinking about what I want to do when I go back to work, and I've decided I really want to teach yoga. I have just brushed the surface of learning about this ancient and complex subject, which is so much more than just a physical workout. It's also mental and spiritual, and can change your whole way of life and looking at things. I know how much better I feel since I started practicing, and I'm excited about the thought of learning more about it so that I can teach others. It would require an initial investment of money and time to become a certified instructor. It would also require creativity, confidence and passion to find a teaching position (or positions). But if it's something you love, all of this doesn't sound very daunting, just exciting.

Of course, I have a very capricious nature, and might change my mind between now and then. But as for right now, having this dream to work towards feels really good.

No comments: