Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The best medicine - live and in person

If you heard someone screaming with glee last Sunday morning around 10am, that was me in the Target parking lot. Jav had just called to let me know that his sister got our tickets to see Eddie Izzard play the Majestic Theater on June 5th. I have been hoping he would do a US tour since I first laid eyes on him, just after Jav and I started dating in 2003. The first round of gleeful screaming started Friday morning when I got my Ticketmaster update and saw his name, although it was very quiet screaming since Gabriel was still asleep. I immediately joined his fan club to see if we could get the password for the Presale, and lo and behold they sent me an email later that afternoon with that very thing. Then the screaming turned into silent trepidation when they only had single tickets available for Presale. We all hoped that they had only put aside part of the tickets for Presale, but started talking about possibly doing a road trip to Austin (where he's doing three shows) if the one Dallas show was sold out. But it wasn't, and six of us happy campers will be sitting in the middle of the upper balcony laughing until tears run down our face and our dinners almost come back up.

What's all the fuss about? you may be asking yourself. Well, I think he's the funniest human being ON THE PLANET. I never much cared for stand-up before I saw him. Sandra (Jav's sister) had watched his HBO special and turned Jav and the rest of her family onto him. So Jav figured I would like him. And hearing that a cross-dressing Englishman who joked alot about history and religion sounded right up my alley. My Mom has also become a huge fan. I think he must have thought the time was finally ripe for a total US tour, after the success of The Riches on FX. The second season starts tonight, and our DVR is set up and ready to go. Eddie plays the head of a con artist family, with the excellent Minnie Driver as his wife. The first season was critically acclaimed, and I think did ok in the ratings. I'm sure he gained alot of new fans through the exposure, especially if they went out and rented any of his stand up DVD's, the set of which Jav got me for Christmas.

I haven't been this excited about a concert since I was going to sit on the floor for Van Halen in 1984.

No comments: