Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mama Janie's legacy

Aunt Gena's pillowcase.


Susan's lovely handiwork.



The whole picture, with Mama Janie's purple based pattern in all of it's glory.


My great grandmother was a quilter, along with several of her friends in Merkel, Texas. I've been lucky enough to have several of her quilts handed down to me. For years I kept them in the cedar chest I also inherited from her. Then four years ago when Jav and I got married, my good friend and adopted Mom Susan made a quilt for us for a wedding gift. It's beautiful bright green shades, and just makes me think "springtime". I wanted to use it as part of our spring and summer bedding, but it wasn't quite big enough for a bedspread. Then I thought of Mama Janie's quilts. I've been rotating the two bigger ones I had and using Susan's while I watch TV or nap. It makes me feel so happy to know that I'm actually using them instead of letting them slowly deteriorate in a cedar chest. It really makes me smile to see Gabriel frolicking on them, which he does often now that his favorite place to be in the house is on top of our bed. I also switch pillowcases when Spring gets here, and use the two yellow embroidered pillowcases my Great Aunt Gena stitched for us as a wedding gift. It's all much better than any store bought bedding, and has so much more sentimental value!

No comments: