Saturday, July 12, 2008

Baseball fun




We took Gabriel and my six-year-old nephew, Cade, to the Ranger Game about three weeks ago.  Cade has been to several Fort Worth Cats games with my brother, but he had never been to a Ranger Game before.  I think it was all a little overwhelming for him.  He seemed to really get into it for the first couple of innings, and was asking Jav all kinds of baseball questions.  Then he started asking the proverbial kid questions - "When are we going to eat?"  "When are we going to walk around?"  "Can we meet the mascot."  "How long do we have to stay?"  After that, his attention on the game came and went, but we were able to have a pretty good time through the middle of the sixth inning (when the ever-exciting Dot Races take place).  

Gabriel seems content as long as he is eating or flirting with other fans.  We got food and drinks on the way before we got there, and Sundays are $1 ice creams for the kids days.  So even though we all ate too much, it didn't leave a big gaping hole in our wallet.  I guess in my head I had thoughts of inspiring a life-long love of baseball in Cade due to our experience at the game, so I was just a little disappointed afterwards when he seemed happy to be heading home.  I need to learn to not have unrealistic expectations when it comes to kids.  Especially for Gabriel's sake.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well, the Dot Race is typically how long I can keep my kids there (and my husband too). Cade is so grown up! And certainly looks like your family.

And I love to see Gabriel's pudgy little legs sticking straight out from the seat in that picture.