Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Clingy vs. Independent: A happy medium?




I read all the books when I had Gabriel about getting him to sleep in his own bed, when to start taking away bottles, how to get him to go to sleep on his own.  And we followed all of this pretty closely.  The result is that we have one extremely independent child on our hands.  

As long as it's his idea to do things, he's happy.  If you try to force things on him, he gets mad.  If he picks out a toy, that's ok.  If you suggest a toy, or a book, he gives us his "I don't think so" yowl and kicks his feet in protest (if he's sitting down).  If you try to help him say a word, he downright gets so mad you think he might throw something at you.  The only song he lets me sing without protest is "Sing, sing a song...".  For some reason, this song calms him and he seems to always enjoy hearing it, no matter what mood he is in.  

The last time we went to Fredericksburg with my my Mom, I tried picking him up from the Pack N Play and letting him sleep with me in the bed for a little while in the mornings.  He couldn't get comfortable with someone else in the bed.  Finally, when all I had was one arm barely draped over him, he fell back asleep.   A couple of times I've tried to get him to take naps with me in our guest bedroom, but he just can't settle down unless he's by himself.  

I'm glad he's independent.  And he is still a very loving child, loving to give hugs and kisses all the time to everybody in the family.  But every once in awhile it would be nice to cuddle up with him and take a nap.  That's when I wouldn't mind a little more clinginess.

No comments: